Thursday 24 March 2011

Our showbiz correspondent writes...

I'm sure we all feel the pain of those from Cornwall Council who went all the way to the Grosvenor House Hotel, London, for last night's Local Government Chronicle awards party - and came away empty handed. The council had been nominated in the categories for "most improved" and "community safety."

The media industry is no stranger to this sort of beano and I confess I am sufficiently veteran to have seen my share. The knowledge that you must have done something right to even have been shortlisted still seems like small consolation when "the prize for ..." goes to someone else.

So I make no criticism at all of Cornwall Council for not bringing back any silverware (in broadcasting, the gongs tend to be made of plastic.)

I do wonder, though, if it was strictly necessary to send EIGHT people to sit round the table, eat the food, drink the wine, listen to the speeches and then take to the dance floor (I offer a small reward for any photos.) I also question the composition of the council group - only one elected politician among them. I suspect some councillors might want to inquire who hands out the invitations for this kind of jolly.

The Local Government Chronicle invitation to councils to buy a table for last night's bash declares, without any obvious irony: "Boost the morale of your staff - providing excellent services would not be possible without your staff. Show them how they are valued by inviting them to the awards for a night of reward and recognition."

Should I ask the council for details of how much last night's travel and accommodation cost the taxpayer? My guess is somewhere north of £1,500.

Wouldn't it have been nice to reward some refuse collectors, or fire-fighters, or social workers? Or indeed anyone from the front line. But for the record, here are the names - and minimum annual costs (as published on the council's website) - of those who I'm sure will not have anything resembling a hangover this morning:

Kevin Lavery, chief executive (£200,000), Michael Crich, corporate director, Resources (£140,000), Gill Steward, corporate director, Communities (£140,000), Kim Carey, corporate director for Adult Care & Support (£125,000), Paul Masters, assistant chief executive (£90,000), Carole Theobald, head of Communications & Strategy (£70,000) and Rob Andrew, Localism Area Manager (annual salary below threshold for publication.) Alec Robertson, council leader (basic allowance plus leader's allowance £34,600). .

I hope they had a good time.


No comments:

Post a Comment