Thursday 16 February 2012

Political mischief? Surely not...

From the leader of Cornwall Council, councillor Alec Robertson, to several members of the council, cc Council Chairman, councillor Pat Harvey:

Dear Members

I have now had the opportunity to review the Council Agenda for the meeting on 21 February and I have read through and considered the motion under Item 10.2, Civic Function of the Council.

Like many Members, I am keen for the Council to debate issues of significance and importance for the Council and/or Cornwall but I'm having difficulty understanding how your motion meets those criteria.

The motion is a statement of the obvious and it is hard to anticipate any Member who would not be in full agreement to what is long established local authority protocol and simply restates what is set out in the Constitution.

It is hard to escape the conclusion that the aim of the motion is to create some sort of political mischief. In case I have misunderstood your intentions or the purpose of the motion, please let me know and I can plan my contribution to the debate accordingly.

The receipt and carrying of the Olympic torch across Cornwall is a fantastic opportunity to showcase everything that is positive about Cornwall and it would be unfortunate if any perceived and, for my part, unnecessary internal Council wrangling were to detract from a wonderful cultural celebration.

Regards

Alec



No comments:

Post a Comment